Monday, March 28, 2016

wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure

Had one of our book club meetings today, and as always time seems faaaar too short; I think if we could be allowed to talk all day about our books, we would. Even though I was the only one who actually finished the entirety of our current text, it certainly did nothing to quell the rapidity of our conversations and the passion in our exchanges.

It is safe to say that we are all pretty much enraptured by the man that was Malcolm X. 
(I need a big silly heart emoticon right now, 
because how else should I express my fangirling, I don't know.)


Just listening to this -- several thoughts cross my mind: that history repeats itself, probably because humanity has had the same problems since forever, and we don't learn from our forefathers. 

By the end, we decided that my bookie friends will finish reading his autobiography and we will discuss this awesome personality again at the next meeting. While I devour any research pertaining to his life, person, and efforts. And the civil rights era in America.

And by the end, I've decided that the following qualities to exist simultaneously in a person is the recipe for greatness: sincerity, discipline, courage, and wit.

---


Not entirely unrelated since I'm in the business of talking about sincere and courageous individuals: I've been waiting and waiting for the Snowden movie to come out and I thought it would be March this year, but they've pushed it to September (rumour has it that the government is making problems for production --  haha, evil).


Here's another amazing personality I admire who is our generation and whose book -- No Place To Hide by Glen Greenwald -- still sits unfinished in my Kindle. I should get to it.

Edward Snowden was 29 when he  revealed confidential US government documents because he believed in liberty and privacy for his fellow Americans. You've just got to respect people who are willing to stake their lives for their beliefs. I'm going to be 29, and what the heck have I done with my life.


It was probably watching John Oliver that made me pay attention to Snowden:

No comments: