Sunday, June 29, 2014

Happy Ramadhan!





And this is wonderful:


Over the years, I have become more and more sensitive to people saying things like this -- "She's just like a typical girl!", "Women are so emotional.", "Men can do it better." -- and people accuse me of being an extreme feminist. Which to me, is like someone saying I'm being an extreme Muslim. What.

What do you mean.

Are you saying I should concede that women do suck in some things? Are you saying I have to agree that some part of my religion is bad and should be quietly forgotten? -- no, I will not
Especially when you phrase it as an insult and try to make me accept that it's truth.
A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype! is a lie.



Goes for any other type of stereotyping as well -- that men are insensitive;  which only gives them an excuse to be so. That Malays are lazy -- again giving them an excuse to blame their culture/blood/genes on the reasons they waste vast amounts of time in un-productivity. That Chinese are greedy -- when I have met the most considerate and thoughtful Chinese friends in my life. Please, let's stop generalizing.


Like Walt Whitman said, 

"Be curious, not judgmental."


And someone will accuse me of being idealistic next.

2 comments:

sham b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sham b said...

No, it was towards myself as well. I never said I never did it ever. And it's not for you to notice, I guess, but I have tried to be fair to men as well in my more recent posts.