Saturday, February 01, 2014

I choose truth and honesty any day

"For a humanist," she said, "you're very scathing on the subject of virtue. For one thing, you shouldn't confuse stolidity and self-control."

"You admire self-control?" he asked, and she took her chance.

"I admire candour."

He retorted instantly. "Oh, nothing better -- in the right place. 'It's only right you should know' -- I wonder how many that classic betise has driven to the river and the dagger and the pillow in a quiet corner. Truth's nothing but falsehood with the edges sharpened up, and ill-tempered at that: no repair, no retraction, no possible going back once it's out. If I told you I'd murdered my own sister you'd register appropriate feelings of hate and revulsion; and if you found later I hadn't, I'd be sure of your interest and sympathy in twice the depth of your hate. Whereas, if you simply found proof positive that I had killed her..."

"... I might loathe you, but I'd respect your courage," she said candidly. "Besides, that sort of truth wouldn't hurt me, would it? It might affect you, but then you'd deserve it."

She had surprised him into laughter. "Oh, God! Generously abstaining from the sword in order to macerate with a cudgel. Pax! Leave me some pride. Pretend at least that you wouldn't collapse in a delirium of joy as I dance a vuelta on the widdy. In any case, I stick to my point. Not ninety-nine women out of hundred really prefer that kind of honesty; and even if you are the hundredth, I'm the last to help you prove it to yourself. No. Si vis pingere, pinge sonum, as Echo rudely remarked. If you want a full study of me, then paint my voice. It's all there is on display at present."

-- Game of Kings


Oh, the layered meanings in all of this.

If there was anyone to hold a candle to Philippa, it would have been Christian, who I adore. This book is just filled with awesome and strong women.

And has there ever been a moment in his life when Francis didn't blame himself for the death of someone? Maybe only when he was 7 years and under or something!

No comments: