Monday, February 24, 2014

Any fictional text is profoundly experimental because the brain that interacts with this text is a dynamic system. (Hence, perhaps, the pleasures of rereading: no two encounters with the same fictional text are ever truly the same, for the brain that responds to the text changes ever so slightly with every thought and impression passing through it.)

-- Why We Read Fiction: Theory of Mind and The Novel, Lisa Zunshine


See? There's a theory to explain my habit of rereading or re-watching or re-experiencing beloved stories. Even my rereading my old blog posts is subject to how my brain has changed, or in general how much as a person I've evolved. I get a great satisfaction from looking at the same thing at a different time, maybe in a different place, but certainly with a different brain. Sometimes, finally, things click into place in a beautiful way, that in the past, I couldn't see.


...

So, recently, I re-watched the insanely popular Taiwanese drama from our teenage past, Meteor Garden (heheeeeeh, and I can't recall now, why I had the impulse), and now I've started a Jerry Yan marathon-thing. I've watched two of his other dramas and become unexpectedly, quite mildly-obsessed. I think it has got something to do with how he is somewhat a reserved personality (i.e. mysterious, different and interesting), and the fact that there is this fascinating somewhat-OTP situation he has in real life with Lin Chi Ling, that I am so incredibly curious about. (And of course, it helps that this man has that gorgeous smile.)

I have crazy, funny, conversations about it on whatsapp, that evolves instead into philosophies about love and life.



No comments: