Thursday, April 18, 2013

Therapy can be filled with hilarious moments, as well as horrifying ones. And sometimes, those two can overlap -- once, I felt like gasping in shock and laughing at the same time.

I was testing a child on blending of phonemes i.e. asking him to join sounds such as "fff", "aaa" and "mmm" and to tell me what word they formed together. He clearly had trouble with this, and hence his atrocious reading skills -- so I kept modeling it, and he unsurprisingly got bored and distracted. So I asked his Mum sitting next to him to help me model for him as well, and asked her to blend 3 phonemes. Except Mummy looked at me blankly when I asked her to do it -- and I'm like ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

OMG, Mummy! You also got reading issues ah! And what do I do at that point, but kinda like go, Hahaha, it's all right, Mummy, this is quite tough. We'll practice more of this with him next time okay...

@.@

Alamak, how you expect the kid to know this when the parent doesn't.

Then again, I'm forgetting -- non-phonetic languages like Chinese might not be based on phonological awareness skills, which means it's okay for purely Chinese-speaking adults to be poor in this? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting.

And this entry is becoming some sort of professional-reflection-journal or something. Not my intention.

Goodnight!

---

Rich Man, Poor Woman SP!

Hilarious scene, seriously.


No comments: