Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blogging juices running out. Finally... otona no ka...?

I still have the same running thoughts though. One that has been making its rounds in my head is a memory of S and me at City Hall MRT station, while we sat on the steps leading up to the shopping mall, and we were waiting and chatting. I remember telling her that you know, it's great, I think this field is where I'd finally find my place and niche, and in turn I asked her how satisfying her work was and her future would be doing what she was doing -- and I remember her looking at me with a half smile, and saying: how she was bigger than anything she did.

It made me stop then, because oh my goodness, isn't it true. Dear old friend, some of the things you have said with such nonchalant wisdom, stay with me.

I think deep down, we all know this, but we're so insecure, we latch onto man-made labels to give ourselves worth. But truly, life is best lived if you don't box yourself into any imaginary boundaries -- professional or otherwise -- but rather live with great purposes in mind, be it to better the self or the community and world at large. And then truly, the world is your oyster.

In relation to this, I remember a younger girl I'd met when I was doing that brief research stint at IBN: she was all hard-working and trying to gain credits so she'd be a shoo-in to medical school. I just conversationally asked her, "What if you don't get to become a doctor?" In response, she widened her eyes and gave me an are-you-insane-that-is-not-an-option look. I added, "I'm sure there'll be other ways you can still do great things and help the community..." At which point, she decided the conversation had to end. 

Seriously, isn't it that if there is awesomeness, awesomeness will shine forth regardless? And that really, the ultimate goal is to be an awesome human being.

I hope I make sense. 

Sleep calls, and tomorrow's mountain load of work awaits.

No comments: