Friday, March 30, 2012

Been watching BBC adaptations (in between the mugging, I promise!) and finished George Eliot's Daniel Deronda. I have mixed feelings about the story -- it's about Jews and their status in society in Victorian England, and also about the difficult lives of women in general, and also about what chasing after your own desires lead to. I think the main problem I have with the story is that there are in fact too many things going on, and nothing specific to root for. The drama's redeeming quality is its cast! :D ahah. I adore Romola Garai! She's a captivating performer.

And the character she plays - that's the reason I thought this was worth blogging about. A thoroughly unlikeable person - selfish, conceited and vain - but I learnt to like her by the end! :O Because she'd learnt to suffer the consequences of her actions gracefully and transformed into a better person, albeit with the guidance of Deronda, who she'd pinned her hopes on but lost anyway. Character-driven stories always appeal to me. It surprised me how much I liked her in the end.



"I've always thought I was the best of gamblers, now it seems I've lost in every way."

No comments: