Wednesday, July 06, 2011

I'm kinda having a nice roll of being disciplined and on-task with my work. (I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying this!) I feel accomplished and sane, and I'm not picking up pieces of my brain off the floor that were scattered during panicked last-minute frenzies, haha.

Read this article called: On the difference between Good Dogs and Dogs That Need a Newspaper Smack, that attempts to describe the concept of privilege. It gets really convoluted, especially if you attempt to go through the numerous comments; I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing. I particularly like the dog and gecko parable the author came up with to demonstrate the whole concept of privilege; hehe, it's quite cute.

The key to privilege isn’t worrying about having it, or trying to deny it, or apologize for it, or get rid of it. It’s just paying attention to it, and knowing what it means for you and the people around you. Having privilege is like having big feet. No one hates you for having big feet! They just want you to remember to be careful where you walk.

No comments: