Monday, October 11, 2010

JK Rowling's Exclusive Interview with Oprah



This was awesome in ways that I cannot even convey. I cried in the beginning when they talked about the end of Harry and what it meant for her, and I cried when she talked about how a fan came up to her and said, You are my childhood, and also when she described her difficult life and when they quoted her Harvard speech again: It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all.


I mean, really, like that girl, HP was an indispensable part of my childhood. I am sure I would have turned out different in some way if I hadn't loved the books as much as I did. And it would be impossible for me not to have fallen in love with it because like JKR mentioned, Harry was testimony to the wonders and power of imagination. And I was nothing if not an incredibly imaginative child (if I can say so myself). I didn't have imaginary friends, but I used to imagine a lot of things (being a superhero for instance, heheh), and Harry's world was like the most amazing playground ever. I swear, when I was in the throes of HP love (haha), 13 years old and walking home from school, I would ardently wish that a boy on a broomstick would land in the tree in front of me. And when I got home, what did I do but explore the internet for Harry again -- I would actually credit my learning about the internet to Harry, because I did not care much for internet chat or networking or whatever and couldn't have cared less otherwise.

So you know, when something is special to you... it's just special to you, in its own way. And JKR is inspiring and to whom I am exceedingly thankful for giving me a colourful childhood.

No comments: