Monday, August 02, 2010

Father Anthony de Mello, a Jesuit teacher with a taste for Zen-like parables, published a series of books in which he emphasized how much of our pervasive sense of unhappiness in the world arises from our attachments. For a Catholic priest he sometimes sounds positively Buddhist in his insistence that the source of emotional anguish is a "state of clinging caused by belief that without some particular thing or some person you cannot be happy." He explains  in The Way to Love that "the tragedy of an attachment is that if its object is not attained it causes unhappiness. But if it is attained, it does not cause happiness - it merely causes a flash of pleasure followed by weariness, and it is always accompanied, of course, by the anxiety that you may lose the object of your attachment."

~ Book by Book, Michael Dirda

:)))

This is from Mariam's (my constant companion whilst I'm teaching at Irsyad) current read; and she bugged me to read this bit. I'm glad that she always bugs me. Eheheh.

That's why, Nabi s.a.w. always used to say: "Ya Allah, as long as you are not angry with me, I don't care what you do with me."

:)

No comments: