Friday, July 16, 2010

I think I have found, for me, the equivalent of Shaykh Hamza Yusuf in writing -- Abdal Hakim Murad. I love the way he writes! It is reminiscent of Dorothy Dunnett's. I haven't been looking up English words since I read Dunnett, and now because of this very clever and wise man, I am doing the same. It gives me a little thrill, to read such beautiful turns of phrases, or find a meaning expressed so magnificently. Everything he writes is like wow. Siiiigh. :))) Sometimes, I feel like bliss is when I am immersed in a sea of words.

The Messenger, upon whom be the best of blessings and peace, was the man of the Mi‘raj, and also the hero of Badr. He loved women, and perfume, and the delight of his eye was in prayer. The transition between moments of intense colloquy with the supreme archangel, and of political or military or family duty, was often little more than momentary; but his balance was impeccable, for he showed that body, mind and spirit are not rivals, but allies in the project of holiness, which means nothing other than wholeness.

From Seeing With Both Eyes (Oh, this is actually a transcript of a lecture. Hm. But I want to get his book!)

---

Yesterday, one of the teachers came up to me and asked, "So how was my class? Were they okay?" Cause I had relieved her class when she had to take time off school. And I said, "They were okay." And she said, "You know, the boys were saying, 'Why that teacher so strict ah! Everything also cannot do. She was finding fault with everything!'"

And I am like this: O.O and also like this XD. I have come a long way from East Coast Primary in 2006, when I was sure that the kids realised how easy it was to bully me.

No comments: