Sunday, January 20, 2008

Finished Oliver Twist. And I think I surprised myself cause I actually found Dickens extremely funny at parts. He makes humour using exaggeration and seemingly matter-of-fact statements. Oh man. I'm incapable of describing it.

"It was all Mrs Bumble. She would do it," urged Mr Bumble; first looking around to ascertain that his partner had left the room.

"That is no excuse," replied Mr Brownlow. "You were present on the occasion of the destruction of these trinkets, and indeed are the more guilty of the two, in the eye of the law; for the law supposes that your wife acts under your direction."

"If the law supposes that," said Mr Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass - a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience - by experience."

~ 'Oliver Twist' by Charles Dickens


HAHA.

No comments: