Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It feels wrong not to talk about the end of HP here. It being so influential on my life and all.

I mean to abandon this place for a while, to take time off, for reasons even I have trouble understanding.

But it would be wrong not to mark the end of an incredible (ten-year-long) story. SO here.

AHEAD: MAJOR BOOK 7 SPOILERS. MAJOR RAMBLE.















I have to gloat that I was so spot on about Snape loving Lily! I just absolutely knew it.

But the way Snape died is tragic. Really. How sad is Snape's life, man.

I love the fact that this book really elucidated everything! (Duh, last book and all, huh?) Especially about Dumbledore! My goodness. His past is so fascinating. And the fact that he was once an ambitious, impulsive, young boy makes him all the more real. And everything about Snape - my! No words. Just a long-due feeling of vindication for an underdog and seriously misunderstood man.

Harry's final wand duel with Voldemort? Epic, yo! And throughout the entire book, I kept thinking, "When did Harry evolve into such a leader?" He's so confident and passionate about what he's doing and compassionate and strong and brave and a million other hero-adjectives. It's shocking that JKR managed to turn him into this when we knew Harry as merely a lonely, scrawny and scared boy only seven years prior. It is excellent character development, no doubt. That final showdown didn't diappoint. I love Harry's speech to Voldie. He spoke like... like... like a man! Not a boy anymore.

And how cool is it that Ron used Parseltongue to get basilisk blood! That is genius work! Ron is adorable more than ever this time, because we see him doing extraordinary things on his own, and he doesn't seem to expect it of himself.

And Ron/Hermione finally materialises. :) And very in-character too.

Most devastating death: Fred Weasley. So devastating that I couldn't shed any tears over it at first. Too shocking. We've always banked on the twins to be there and be funny when times go bad. But when one of them goes, it's just like... kind of a helpless feeling. Waaaah.

I shockingly cried over Moody's death. I mean, he's never been prominent enough to gain my affections, but when he just died like that - it was heartbreaking! Probably his death just highlighted the extreme danger and helplessness of the Order's situation.

Dobby's death was similarly devastating. Which author would bother to kill a house-elf? I mean, fandom work that I've read before have never made the death of a non-wizard so tragic! But JKR succeeded. Dobby holds such dear memories of stacks of woolen hats and tea cosies, and serving Harry like no other. Sniff.

AND HEDWIG!!! Hedwig was the first to go! I mean, like hello! Aren't even pets free from the dangers of the Dark Side???

Oh yes, Oliver Wood appeared again, much to Yujie's satisfaction.

Ah sigh. I could go on, I suppose, and list out my exclamation over every other little thing. But that'll be crazy work.

I LOVE HP. Can't believe Harry finally did it, you know. I remember, when that scene was over, when Voldie was laying dead on the floor - I was quite stunned. I just had trouble letting the fact that it was OVER sink in. But wooh! it was GREAT while it lasted.

No comments: