Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Got back today afternoon. Almost didn't make it back because my name was on the waiting list, and I almost didn't get on the plane. But we all eventually did, and came home to welcoming relatives at Changi Airport. Hugs and tears and kisses and all. As is typical.

I don't know where to begin or even what to say. It was a very personal, self-changing experience. And now that am back, there's a feeling of aching loss, much like the feeling after leaving Egypt, just slightly different. I didn't sleep much, ate less, prayed a lot more and read a lot. Bought The Noble Quraan, an English Translation. I think it's fantastic. And some things in there quite scared me, or rather reminded me and consequently scared me. I'm scared, scared, scared. Baitullah is just... breathtaking. Not in its size, not just in its beauty (it is a beautiful sight)... but more of... how, you know, it is the centre of all things important. It's where we face everyday. And there you are, you know, looking at it. Indescribable. And Madinah is just nicely peaceful and calming.

And there, you feel humbled. How small you are, amongst the masses of people, all seeking the same thing. I am scared.

To put things on a lighter note... there were a lot of cute babies! Soooo cute. Everytime, I wish they'd come near enough for me to pinch their cheeks or something. And I saw a BLOND boy, about three years in age, wearing a jubah. Sooooo cuuuute. Oh, and it's incredibly hot. We were walking along in the scorching heat, and there was this digital thermometer which said 41 deg. Celsius. We laughed at it, because you know, it seems incredible. And as we walked, we'd stop by zamzam (holy water) dispensers and quench our thirst. And oh, you know what, the shopkeepers can all speak malay, albeit a very limited version! haha. They'd go "Murah! Murah! Lima rial! Lima rial!" Quite a number of beggars. I climbed hills. Saw the Red Sea for the second time. Ate kebabs. Found out white tiles remain cool in the scorching heat. Had aching feet. And had, overall, a very fulfilling experience.

Will post photos for your viewing pleasure and for my own keepsake.

No comments: