Saturday, March 05, 2005

Why is it that some people in this world, or should I say most, just strive to be the best, the top, number one? Does it give so much joy to know that one is most successful among one's peers, or the most intelligent in the family, or the big powerful boss? Why, why, why?

Success is not all bad when it is not achieved for its own sake. But when success is the ultimate destination, I feel that the work becomes dishonourable. I'm not sure I'm putting it rightly... But it's like being untrue. For instance, you could desire to become a doctor because you would earn that respectable title of 'Doctor' or you could become one because you honestly think it is your life's call to cure sick people. Either way you still help people. Only the latter person has lived the life he feels he was meant to live. And all the recognition is just an added unnecessary bonus. While the former just gains materially. How does that person get the satisfaction of having lived a life worth living? How do you die happily like that? I don't know... Maybe for some, gaining wealth and fame is their life's purpose.

I think each one of us has the potential to succeed in our paths, provided we choose the path that is best suited to us. I'd rather do something I think I like or am best suited for and not be very successful rather than I do something I don't really like but am extremely successful. (I take success here as meaning achieving wealth and fame.)

Oh, here, I checked it up. Success is the achievement of something desired, planned or attempted.

I fear that I will end up living a life I don't want to live, doing the things I don't want to do because of obligation and fear of disappointment. Then I'd look back on my childhood and feel sorry that my dreams are just dreams and nothing else.

Must take my chances. Carpe diem!

No comments: