Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Was reading some stuff and found this. Plato said:

"When a person meets the half that is his very own, whatever his orientation, then something wonderful happens: the two are struck from their senses by love, by a sense of belonging to one another...and they don't want to be separated from one another, not even for a minute. These are people who finish out their lives together and still cannot say what it is they want from one another. No one would think it is the intimacy of sex ... It's obvious that the soul of every lover longs for something else; his soul cannot say what it is, but like an oracle it has a sense of what it wants, and like an oracle it hides behind a riddle."

I tried to refrain from saying that that whole chunk of words from Plato's mouth is utter crap... But I can't help it. It does seem like crap. Unreal. Just fantasy. Literature.

I think this really doesn't sound like me. Normally, such deep analysis of love and life make me go 'Awww'. Or I'd ponder on it for some time and simply start feeling inexplicably good; knowing that perhaps such wonderful things do exist. I am a dreamer, I know that. I live in the clouds, most of the time. But today, I seem to have both feet on the ground, and feel annoyed that most days aren't like today, and I am usually my normal deluded self. Today, I must have taken off those bloody rose-tinted glasses I wear.

I've read about really great romances, and beautiful friendships. But words, they just glorify things to become more than they actually are, don't you think? Just take Harry and Draco for instance, in Draco Trilogy. A great story centering on a most extraordinary relationship between the two boys. Something deeper than friendship. Closer than being blood brothers. A bond so strong one cannot conceive living life without the other. And let's not make me start listing out all the love stories we know from movies and books and stories in general. Their tales are awe-inspiring and amazing and touching. But really, how often are they realistic? How often do happy endings occur?

Stories are really reflections of what humans wish reality could be. Life is really, mostly, pretty much the opposite. So literature and books are confusing me to bits. Of course, there are those realistic stories and sad endings... tragic ones. But even those are being glamourised. Death is made to be poetic or honourable. When really, I should think it's simply painful and bloody.

When you think about it, real life is... not as nice. I'm not saying there aren't any people who truly love each other, or there never existed a strong bond between any two brothers or sisters. I'm just saying that words make it seem to be much more.

Words make the world prettier.

And so Plato's whole paragraph, in my opinion, would have been more true if it merely described the happiness of two people who have found much common ground spending time with each other. And not that whole chunk about never wanting to be separated etc.

Ah sigh. Just you see. Tomorrow, I'll be my old self and think all I wrote here is crap (in fact, I already think that). And that really, miracles do happen and relationships can be truly deep and strong and true love exists.

No comments: