Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The Big Move tomorrow. And I am not supposed to get on the train. But I will try. Am miffed.

Anyway, have something to say. I know that my blog is in a very public place - the World Wide Web. I can't help it if my blog seems to constantly appear in the yahoo search results. I really don't know why. And I don't know how to go about finding out the reason. I wish I could put a password like Pige does, so that only selective people are privy to these information, but I have no knowledge of how to do that, either. So here lies my blog entries, for everyone to see, if they wish. And honestly, I am fine with that now. Because I made the choice of having a blog. And this place has never been a store for my innermost emotions anyway. Merely a channel for sharing between friends. But I ask for only one small thing: Have the courtesy of letting me know if you've visited? Especially if I do know you. I mean... Passing visitors do stumble here, and leave with no impression... And I couldn't care less. But it's a bit different if you're someone I know. Just say something, won't you? There's a guestbook. Don't leave me in the dark.

Of course, I wouldn't be able to do anything if you are determined to remain lurking in silence. So be it. -_-

'The Other Boleyn Girl' has taken a very unpleasant turn. Was annoyed that what I wanted to happen has no prospect of ever happening. But I like the story. Themes of ambition, power, sacrifice and love. The three Boleyn siblings, Anne, Mary and George, doing whatever it takes to bring the Howard family to the highest possible position in England - the throne. And it's all quite sad... Here's a bit of it.

His young handsome face crumpled and he buried his face into the rich sleeve of his jacket. "I'm in love with a man," he said simply. [What is it with homosexuality in the 16th century?]

"Francis Weston," I said at once. [And he had to be called Francis?!]

His silence told me that I had guessed right.

Anne's face was one of stunned horror. "Does he know?"

He shook his head, still buried among the rich red velvet of his embroidered sleeve.

"Does anyone else know?"

Again his brown head shook.

"Then you must never give hint of it, never tell anyone," she ordered him. "This must be the first and last time you speak of it to anyone, even to us. You must cut him out of your heart and mind and never even look at him again."

He looked up at her. "I know it's hopeless."

But her advice was not for his benefit. "You endanger me," she said. "The king'll never marry me if you bring shame to us."

"Is that it?" he demanded, in sudden rage. "Is that all that matters? Not that I am in love and tumbled like a fool into sin. Not that I can never be happy, married to a snake and in love with a heartbreaker, but only, only, that Mistress Anne Boleyn's reputation must be without blemish."

At once she flew at him, her hands spread like claws, and he caught her wrists before she could rake his face. "Look at me!" she hissed. "Didn't I give up my only love, didn't I break my heart? Didn't you tell me then that it was worth the price?"

He held her away but she was unstoppable. "Look at Mary! Didn't we take her from her husband and me from mine? And now you have to give up someone too. You have to lose the great love of your life, as I have lost mine, as Mary lost hers. Don't whimper to me about heartbreak, you murdered my love and we buried it together and now it is gone."

George was struggling with her and I gripped her from behind, pulling her off him. Suddenly, the fight went out of her and the three of us stood still, like masquers forming a tableau, me, hugging her waist, him holding her wrists, her stretched hands still inches from his face.

"Good god, what a family we are," he said wonderingly. "Good god, what have we come to?"

"It's where we're going that matters," she said harshly.

George met her gaze and nodded slowly, like a man taking an oath. "Yes," he sighed. "I won't forget."

"You'll give up your love," she stipulated. "And never mention his name again."

Again the defeated nod.

"And you'll remember that nothing matters more than this, my road to the throne."

"I'll remember."

No comments: