Friday, June 11, 2004

The trouble with me is that I can never be diligent enough to record all the important events in my life here. I should have written about a whole lot of things... including Pige's birthday meeting... But, I just don't FEEL like it, you know. It doesn't mean it's less important than Troy. I just need to have that URGE to write, to WRITE.

I went for the CCA Leadership Camp. Don't really know where to start about it. I learnt a lot. A whole lot of things that the instructors meant to impart to me and some things that I've observed myself. But at the end of it all, I felt depressed. More knowledgable, but nonetheless, depressed. Oh well. I don't wish to go into detail. I have this involuntary reaction towards bad memories - store it in the deep reaches of my hippocampus (Isn't that where the brain stores memories?)and consequently never speak or write of it ever again. Maybe that's why my memory is getting poorer and poorer. All that stuffing isn't doing me good.

All that aside, I wish to rant on about Lymond. Am now on to the fifth book. I'm devouring everything like it's a drug and I'm the addict. Really can't quite help myself. The story is simply amazing. And there is no character quite like Francis Crawford. He surpasses DT!Draco in many ways. You know the way Draco always thinks for himself last and readily sacrifices himself for others? (Recall the destruction of a certain vial of antidote.) Multiply that a million times for Lymond's case. Sometimes I wish he would stop being so altruistic and think for himself for a change. It really is so painful to watch him suffer.

There was this exremely suspenseful and exciting part where Lymond battles his arch nemesis, Gabriel, in a battle of chess with Lymond's friends as the pieces. Two young children were involved, one of which was his son. And the game culminates in an ultimate sacrifice, wich made me cry like mad. I had to fling the book down because I was so distraught. REALLY.

I am so frustrated that I have virtually no one to share all my thoughts on this.

"Dear Kate, how understanding we were about funerals, how we shared in the weeping beforehand and the lightheartedness, the unsuitable laughter which followed. We've had a victory. We've won a battle whose importance perhaps no one yet knows, after a year of effort which has changed every one of us. Gabriel is dead; and we are free and alive, except for one small boy, a stranger to whom we were strangers too. And tonight, there is hardly one of us who does not wish, in his remorse, that he died in his place." ~ Philippa, Pawn in Frankincense, Book IV of the Lymond Chronicles

No comments: